Texas Sheet Cake To Die For

Yes, I realize this my 400th chocolate cake recipe but you can never have too many chocolate cake recipes, right? What I love about this one is that it doesn't require chocolate chips which disappear in my house like umbrellas and matching socks. This is yet another Pioneer Woman recipe and she's never let me down. I made this in a snap for a neighborhood clambake and served it to many happy people!

FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
2 sticks Butter
1 cup Boiling Water
½ cups Buttermilk (I used the trick of a touch under 1/2 c. of milk with 1-2 Tbls. vinegar mixed together, let sit a few minutes and voila - buttermilk!)
2 whole Beaten Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla

FOR FROSTING:
½ cups Finely Chopped Pecans (I omitted because my kids are not nut fans)
1-¾ stick Butter
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
6 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar


In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.

In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.

While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.

Let sit until glaze sets and then dig in!

Comments